Sunday 10 February 2013

Where and why


I mentioned in my previous blog we have left the West Country. It's part of a journey, that should hopefully end up with us living in the Alps. Stage 1 of that journey was quitting my job and working for myself (which I have done, for a low value of 'working'). Stage 2 was acquire UK base, which we have also done. We're now living in a flat in Reading, chosen entirely pragmatically for it's proximity to motorways, airports and London. Notably not chosen for it's proximity to mountains, hills or exciting outdoor stuff. But! It has impressed.

As mentioned I have been mountain biking. Reading CTC have a great off road section, and do lots of rides, and there is lots of riding to be had locally. A nice bunch and it's a delight to have much better than expected mountain biking available right out of the door. I am reliably informed there are hundreds (or at least many tens) of miles of great cross country riding.

I've also been doing a bit of road biking. Due to being halfway through a move overseas a lot of our stuff is in storage. Limited space in the flat forced me chose which bikes I'd need, and which I could live with out. I selected the hardtail mtb and the fixed to come with us here (plus my trusty Raleigh shopper for getting round town), and everything else went into storage. This means road rides are on the fixed. It's been a while since I've ridden it frequently, and hills are hard work. But luckily there is a decent choice of quiet loops out into the surrounding countryside, and going north means the Chilterns and hence hills, and the south is flatter. 

And finally there is running. I had got used to having the Cotswolds on the door step, with miles and miles of hilly trail running. I was expecting a lot of road running post the move. However only a few minutes from the flat I can be on the canals, with miles and miles of traffic and road free running (if a bit flat). North again gets into the hills, though it does require a few miles on the pavement to start with. But again, not too shoddy.

All of that adds up to no excuse for getting fitter again. Two things I'd like to do this year are this and this. I have a confirmed entry to neither - dithering caused by concerns about fitness, not being sure where we'll be and when, and the lack of income. However I've now done some actual paid work (invoices sent), and hence really am running out of excuses. 

Rob

No comments: